As we all move to improve our soil quality we have found that conventional no-till methods work however, we have the ability to improve this process by reducing chemical usage and introducing cover crops into our processes.
This class will provide a discussion of the benefits of cover crops, which crops to plant, when to plant them, and a planting demonstration.
- Doug Havemann, Army Veteran, Co – Owner, Mesquite Field Farm
- Melissa Havemann, Co-Owner, Mesquite Field Farm
- Farm tool safety
- Crop planning
- Seed Supply calculations
- Material supply calculations
- Farm Tractor Usage
- Farm implement usage (no-till drill)
- Seed Characteristics
- USDA planting zones and cover crop recommendations
- Seed suppliers and recommendations
- Crop Planting techniques
Understanding the basics of organics is understanding your soil.
In this workshop we will discuss and understand the basics of soil health, organic matter management , compost and plant based teas. How to scout for diseases and monitoring and finally beneficial insects that help protect your crops.
- Organic matter management
- Understanding basics of soil health
- Compost &plant based teas
- Disease scouting & monitoring
- Beneficial Insects