In partnership with Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, we will demonstrating and discussing proper care and maintenance of your sheep including
- Applying ID tags
- Record Keeping
- Hoof care
- Behavioral knowledge & selection
- Breed knowledge & selection
- Options for predator control
Whether you are just starting or have been in the game for a while, this class is open to everyone!
What to bring- Gloves, hat, sunscreen, water, boots. Lunch will be provided.
When all of your perfect produce has been sold, what do you do with the rest? Or do you just have an abundance of produce from your garden this year?
How about creating Value Added Products and generate more revenue!!
In Texas, the Cottage Food Bill allows individuals to create canned goods for sale up to a certain amount without the use of a commercial kitchen. This could be a new revenue stream for you!!
- Cottage Food Law Requirements
- Food Safety
- Canning Safety
- Strawberry Jam Making
- Pickling Making
Cost is $30: this includes a handy reference handout, lunch AND students will get to take home jars of jam and pickles they create during the class!!
It is always difficult for new livestock producers to understand all of the moving parts required to move their livestock from farm to table. This class provides a site visit to a USDA certified processing facility, cut list development, and labeling requirements for TDA and USDA.
- USDA Processing Facility Tour: How beef is processed
- Product label requirements and development
- How to develop a cut list for processing
- How to use customer input and marketing data to develop cut lists
- Beef cattle processing requirements
- How to develop relationships between you and your processor
- Product labels and marketing
- Doug Havemann, Army Veteran, Co – Owner, Mesquite Field Farm
- Melissa Havemann, Co-Owner, Mesquite Field Farm
Registration link coming soon. Contact Doug Havemann for details.
Marketing is one aspect small farms and ranches have to consider when producing farm products. In order to have a successful business, you have to sell your products.
Join us for a Marketing 101 Workshop where we will cover the basics of marketing, marketing plans, and marketing for farms and ranches. Participants will have an opportunity to develop their own marketing plan during the workshop.
Lunch will be included.
Agriculture grant opportunities can help you grow your farm or ranch and increase it’s profitability. At this workshop you will learn about grant opportunities available to farmers & ranchers, as well as, gain experience and skills regarding reading requests for applications, determining what opportunities may be right for your operation, key components of grant proposals and tips for applying.
Cost: $25 per participant; Registration limited to 25 participants
Growin on Faith Farm will provide workshop materials, light breakfast foods/snacks, drinks, and a boxed lunch.
Understanding soil health is understanding the basics of organics.
In this hands on workshop, Co-Founder James Jeffers, will discuss
- understanding the basics of soil health
- organic matter management
- compost and plant based teas
- how to scout for diseases and pests
- weed management
- beneficial insects that help protect your crops.
Be prepared to get your hands dirty and bring your gloves.
This class is great opportunity for both beginner and seasoned growers!
For an accurate participant count and so we are better prepared, please be sure to register for the class.
After class, stay and have lunch with us that will be provided by Sheep Dog Assistance.