This course will be all worms! Learn how worms can determine your soil health and how to cultivate them. We will also be demonstrating how to build and easy worm bin with minimum inputs.
Instructors: F.A.R.M. & Texas Worm Ranch
- Build/ install infrastructure
- Build soil health & productivity (e.g., make compost, plant and manage cover and catch drops, integrate crop and livestock production, install crop rotations, add organic amendments if and as required)
- Monitor ecological impact of all production activities
- Implement conservation practices & measures (e.g., buffer strips, water quality management projects, wildlife habitat improvement, strip cropping)
- Cultivate soil
Now that you have multiplied your worm collection, use the castings for compost tea. Compost tea is a great way to love your plants naturally. Compost Tea is a Liquid Gold fertilizer for flowers, vegetables and houseplants. … Very simply, it is a liquid, nutritionally rich, well-balanced, organic supplement made by steeping aged compost in water.
- Benefits of compost tea
- How to improve crop growth with compost tea
- Nutrient retention and availability of soil
- Build stronger soil structures with compost tea
Following discussion, we will demonstrate how to build a compost tea brewer!
Wicking beds are a unique and increasingly popular way to grow vegetables. They are self-contained raised beds with built-in reservoirs that supply water from the bottom up – changing how, and how much, you water your beds.
Wicking beds can often be pricey however, we will demonstrate how to build a wicking bed out of re-purposed material. Be sure to bring gloves!
- Understanding irrigation systems
- Planning irrigation systems
- Raised Beds
- Soil Moisture testing
- Determining moisture needs
Understanding soil health is understanding the basics of organics.
In this hands on workshop, Co-Founder James Jeffers, will discuss
- understanding the basics of soil health
- organic matter management
- compost and plant based teas
- how to scout for diseases and pests
- weed management
- beneficial insects that help protect your crops.
Be prepared to get your hands dirty and bring your gloves.
This class is great opportunity for both beginner and seasoned growers!
For an accurate participant count and so we are better prepared, please be sure to register for the class.
After class, stay and have lunch with us that will be provided by Sheep Dog Assistance.