Participants will learn the basic concepts of designing a pipe fence, arc welding, cutting torch, setting corner posts, setting line posts, cutting saddles, welding pipe rails, designing building and installing a pipe gate.
Doug Havemann, Army Veteran, Co – Owner, Mesquite Field Farm
Joe Medina, Navy Veteran, Retired Welder and Small Farm Owner
- Farm Safety
- Farm planning
- Material requirements and calculations
- Tractor and Auger safety
- Infrastructure Planning
- Repairing Infrastructure Components
- Livestock pasture management requirements
- Industry best practices
Join us for a farm tour and networking event highlighting the FEAT Training Farm in Gatesville, Texas. We will be touring the farm and learning about livestock and soil.
- Choosing your livestock species
- understanding stocking rate
- Taking a soil sample
- Taking a forage sample
- Reading a forage & soil tests
- Understanding and using soil maps
The farm tour is FREE, but please Regsiter HERE!
This course will be all worms! Learn how worms can determine your soil health and how to cultivate them. We will also be demonstrating how to build and easy worm bin with minimum inputs.
Instructors: F.A.R.M. & Texas Worm Ranch
- Build/ install infrastructure
- Build soil health & productivity (e.g., make compost, plant and manage cover and catch drops, integrate crop and livestock production, install crop rotations, add organic amendments if and as required)
- Monitor ecological impact of all production activities
- Implement conservation practices & measures (e.g., buffer strips, water quality management projects, wildlife habitat improvement, strip cropping)
- Cultivate soil
Now that you have multiplied your worm collection, use the castings for compost tea. Compost tea is a great way to love your plants naturally. Compost Tea is a Liquid Gold fertilizer for flowers, vegetables and houseplants. … Very simply, it is a liquid, nutritionally rich, well-balanced, organic supplement made by steeping aged compost in water.
- Benefits of compost tea
- How to improve crop growth with compost tea
- Nutrient retention and availability of soil
- Build stronger soil structures with compost tea
Following discussion, we will demonstrate how to build a compost tea brewer!
Join us for a farm tour of Stiles Farm in Thrall, Texas. The Stiles Farm Foundation is a 2,716 acre farm located in Thrall, Texas in eastern Williamson County. The farm is managed by the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service as a living demonstration of research-based, profitable, and environmentally sustainable agricultural practices for the Texas Blackland Prairie.
Tyler Coufal, Williamson County Extension Agent, will be putting together some hands-on learning activities and a farm tour of the Stiles Farm.
You can vote for topics from the following when registering:
- Parasite Management & Soils
- Cattle Handling & Working
- Sheep & Goat Handling & Working
- Animal Health & Nutrition