This course will be all worms! Learn how worms can determine your soil health and how to cultivate them. We will also be demonstrating how to build and easy worm bin with minimum inputs.
Instructors: F.A.R.M. & Texas Worm Ranch
- Build/ install infrastructure
- Build soil health & productivity (e.g., make compost, plant and manage cover and catch drops, integrate crop and livestock production, install crop rotations, add organic amendments if and as required)
- Monitor ecological impact of all production activities
- Implement conservation practices & measures (e.g., buffer strips, water quality management projects, wildlife habitat improvement, strip cropping)
- Cultivate soil
Now that you have multiplied your worm collection, use the castings for compost tea. Compost tea is a great way to love your plants naturally. Compost Tea is a Liquid Gold fertilizer for flowers, vegetables and houseplants. … Very simply, it is a liquid, nutritionally rich, well-balanced, organic supplement made by steeping aged compost in water.
- Benefits of compost tea
- How to improve crop growth with compost tea
- Nutrient retention and availability of soil
- Build stronger soil structures with compost tea
Following discussion, we will demonstrate how to build a compost tea brewer!
Almost every type of weather condition is experienced in Texas. It can be somewhat unpredictable resulting in crop losses. Owenwood Farm & Neighbor Space has begun building their farm.
In this workshop we will discuss how to choose the best crops for the season with an emphasis on soil health for crops to produce, which crops to choose to build soil, and determining moisture needs. After class, we will go outside to learn how to plant potatoes and onions!
- Planning soil building crops
- Basics of soil health
- Crop selection
- Direct seeding
- Determining moisture needs
- Basic tractor operation
Farming and ranching ranks among the most stressful occupations, with suicide rates nearly twice as high as the national average. The AgriStress Helpline is a new resource for farmers and ranchers in mental health crisis. Join us to learn more about the helpline and how it supports farmers and ranchers.